[opus] [codec] Some listening test results

Ron ron at debian.org
Fri Jul 26 13:42:42 PDT 2013

Hi Christian,

Thanks for publishing this.  Do you happen to have some numbers on
what the expected bit error rates are for a "typical AMR-WB usage
scenario"?

I'm curious about that because you note that the Opus bitstream
wasn't designed to be inherently robust against a bit error at
any point in the packet (and some places will obviously effect
it worse than others) - however it's not quite true that it
'cannot tolerate them'.

Opus requires framing for transport, and if the transport itself
doesn't ensure data integrity then it's reasonably easy for the
framing to do so (such as Ogg does with its CRC).

In which case a bit error simply becomes a packet loss, handled
by the normal Opus PLC/FEC mechanisms.  So I'm curious about how
the results you saw for various packet loss rates might map to
expected service quality, even without taking steps to make the
link itself more robust than it already is.

Given the increasing importance of data over cellular links,
I'd expect the current BER targets are already fairly low, though
I don't seem to be able to find any numbers on current expectation.
Just some papers that note "it's much lower than people think",
and "approaching the rates seen on wired networks" - though of
course it's much more likely to be bursty when errors do occur,
and going to vary widely by locale.

  Cheers,
  Ron