[opus] Encoding ultrasonics

Corey Shay cshay892 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 10:58:15 PST 2013

Well, with game coding, you're always CPU constrained, and always memory
bound. Any cycles or bits you use in one place have to be taken from
something else. I've always liked Vorbis other than the fact that it has no
memory constraints and can grow unexpectedly. I've been inclined to modify
it heavily so that any Vorbis stream when opened can have a known fixed
cost that won't grow. Opus appeals to me because the memory cost is always
fixed, and better still, the whole initialized encoder or decoder can be
copied pointer free, which makes it an ideal choice for Cell processors.
Though, unfortunately it is quite slow at the moment.

Splitting the audio assets into 2 different versions has an obvious memory
issue, and also it won't work for dynamic real time pitching, like in the
case of a vehicle engine, or an effect where time slows down.