[opus] Newbie question on VAD

Harri Pasanen harri at mpaja.com
Wed Jan 16 10:48:14 PST 2013

Hi,

I'm interested in speech recognition and it occurred
to me to try to use VAD to automatically detect the start of speech
prior to feeding the stream to the recognition engine.

Speex has a preprocessor capability which presumably could be
used for this, but I did not see similar in my quick perusal of Opus
docs.

First, is this is a dumb idea for some reason?   If not, should I just use
Speex preprocessor, or can Opus be coaxed to do this?

I'm targeting mobile platforms, so ARM v7 in practice.

I'm noob in codec domain, but not as a developer.

Thanks,

Harri