[opus] Opus File Format

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 04:41:03 PST 2013

On 26 February 2013 10:55, Simon G4ELI/HB9DRV <simon at sdr-radio.com> wrote:

> From: opus-bounces at xiph.org [mailto:opus-bounces at xiph.org] On Behalf Of Ian Malone
>>
>> Hi, yes the Ogg encapsulation (the default format for files) supports tags, see
>> http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html for the standard types. I'm not sure what tools you
>> can use to manipulate them, see the various --artist, --title and --comment arguments for opusenc
>> https://mf4.xiph.org/jenkins/view/opus/job/opus-tools/ws/man/opusenc.html
>> I don't know if the standard vorbiscomment or oggz-comment have support yet for editing them after encoding. Not sure whether you can do something similar with RTP.
>>

> Thanks for the link. At the moment I'm *very* happy with Opus for compressing audio in my remote
> radio installations, I'm looking forward to 1.1 moving into beta. It's not essential that I save audio
> using Opus - WMA is not bad, there's always WAV.
>
> What I would like to do is throw in a few suggestions if a file format is ever designed by the Opus / Ogg
> team, one desire would be to put tags anywhere in the recording. Maybe Ogg supports this - I don't know.
>
> An example I would use is to tag the current frequency of the recording, as the user changes the
> frequency then add a new tag. I'm not going to do anything which isn't an Opus / Ogg standard though...

Hi, you may be interested in Kate: http://wiki.xiph.org/Kate it is for
text embedding (subtitles, karaoke) though rather than your example
which is more of a machine-metadata issue. I don't know whether Opus
can continually vary frequency (though I don't think so, it's very
rare for audio formats), but communicating that is obviously something
the codec would need to specify.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk