[opus] 48kHz

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 04:23:16 PST 2013

I have been challenged by someone that opusfile's 48kHz most of the time
forced resampling but I didn't have good arguments to counter.

I've checked the opus-codec.org pages and Monty's pages without finding
good arguments.

If you encode files to .opus with opusenc and decode with opusfile's api
the sampling rate is constantly 48kHz ignoring output hardware isn't it?

Is current and old (2007 Intel core2duo chip) onboard chipset audio not
capable of 48kHz?

Using libopus directly it's possible to use lower sampling rates but this
cannot be decoded with libopusfile can it?

These may be noob questions but I hope you can provide simple answers
to counter the next time someone questions my use of opus.