[opus] preskip and seeking suing Opus

Bob Estes xiph at headdab.com
Thu Aug 15 09:09:55 PDT 2013

Yes, that's a start.

Ultimately, though, I'm hoping to reduce the 80ms requirement, and am
trying to get a handle on what state in the decoder must converge and what
complications I might be up against.  I'm also only considering CELT-based
encodings if that simplifies things.

I know that Opus can do inter-frame energy envelope prediction, but that
dependency can be eliminated by using intra-frames.

There's also a dependency introduced by the MDCT overlap of CELT.  Without
the previous frame, this could be a major term in the convergence
requirement.

Other than that, I'm not sure what other dependencies I would need to
consider.

Is their a paper or some studies or discussions available about where the
80 ms comes from?
I'm a fairly new member to this group, but did scan the mailing list
archives for similar topics ...

Thanks again,
-Bob Estes