[opus] OPUS on embedded platforms

van Bijleveld Christian (ST-CO/ENG1.3) Christian.vanBijleveld at nl.bosch.com
Tue Dec 18 06:35:58 PST 2012

Hi all,

I am interested in using the OPUS codec for real-time application on an (preferable low-profile) platform. In order to choose the optimal processor (memory size, speed,...) I have the following questions:

-       We have compiled OPUS on a PC with Linux OS and on a dual-core Cortex A9 with Linux Kernel. Can OPUS run on a processor with no specific OS, or are there mechanisms/libraries/functionality which are dependent on the operating system??
-       I see that there are projects which aim to implement OPUS on a ARM processor. Does anyone know about or have figures regarding resources (memory footprint, clock cycles) which are needed in order to run OPUS on lower-profile processors, such as Cortex Mx, Blackfin DSP or some TI DSP??
-       If these figures are not available, does anyone have an estimate on how many resources OPUS needs compared to the AAC codec??

Thank you for your help.

Met vriendelijke groeten | Best Regards,
Christian van Bijleveld