[CELT-dev] Artifacts in One Channel of Stereo C55x Implementation

Jean-Marc Valin jmvalin at jmvalin.ca
Thu Feb 3 07:00:28 PST 2011

On 11-02-03 09:51 AM, Bob Bang wrote:
> Yes, the integer overflow was my first thought as well. I tested the the
> code on a PC with the "celtenc" and "celtdec" exe's.  I assume if I
> configured the compilation with "--enable-fixed-point" that the behavior
> would manifest itself. It did not, so it may be an issue specific to the
> DSP. I can try to track this down, or I may upgrade the CELT revision.
> What revision contains the newer constraint on frame size? (The prime
> factors of 2,3 & 5) My system is quite defined on a 100 sample frame
> size so obviously that newer constraint won't work.

Last I've heard, 100=2*2*5*5, so it *should* work with the latest
version. I recommend updating, though it's likely that you'd just see
different problems. Again, this is due to the fact that we have
currently no way to test on 16-bit platforms.

> Also, in debugging my system I have seen that for a static frame input
> to the encoder, I see the exact same encoded buffer output , byte for
> byte, every call. Is this expected behavior? Is there no state
> information passed along to the decoder in the compressed buffer? So
> basically, for every input X[n], there is a defined output Y[n]?

There *is* a state, though depending on the exact input, the encoder may
choose not to use any prediction. There's also a setting to disable
prediction explicitly, but it's not set by default.

	Jean-Marc