[CELT-dev] CELT Test case failures

Andrew Lentvorski bsder at allcaps.org
Fri Aug 5 13:08:12 PDT 2011

On 8/5/11 9:40 AM, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> Now, have you considered using Opus instead of CELT? Opus is the codec
> that merges the SILK and CELT codec and is going to essentially replace
> CELT in the near future.

So, all of the issues with using Opus instead of CELT have been resolved?

It's now a part of the main Vorbis repository?  There's an official
snapshot?

There is now documentation?

There is now example code that works out of the box and doesn't require
the knowledge of arcane switches to make work or at least emits sane
error messages?

There is now quantification of how the CPU usage profile has changed by
switching from CELT by itself to the hybrid codec?

Yes, I'm being a PITA about this, but the "support" issues don't
magically go away just because the repository changed sites.

In addition, I note that the wikipedia pages on audio formats:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_audio_formats

comments that SILK is *patented*--one of the advantages of CELT was that
it was based on older technology so patents were less of an issue (I
recall this from one of the videos, I think).  I also note that SILK
requires a patent license.  I presume this was discussed on a Vorbis
list somewhere, could someone give me a pointer so that I can avoid
rehashing that off-topic discussion on this list.

Thanks,
-a