[CELT-dev] configure in git repository

Andrew Lentvorski bsder at allcaps.org
Wed Apr 27 22:27:06 PDT 2011

On 4/27/11 4:14 PM, Timothy B. Terriberry wrote:
>> I then ran the new ./configure and saw the following:
>>
>> ./configure: line 11916: syntax error near unexpected token `tools="tools",'
>> ./configure: line 11916: `  XIPH_PATH_OGG(tools="tools", tools="")'
>
> This clear and concise error message from autotools means that ogg.m4
> was not found, probably because you don't have libogg installed.

Welcome to autocrap.  Why have a 40 line Makefile when you can have
40,000 lines of autogenerated garbage that still can't find what it
needs to?

What you need is something like:
./configure --enable-custom-modes --with-ogg=/opt/local

--with-ogg tells the configure script where to look for the ogg
libraries.  In my case, mine are installed by MacPorts.

You need the --enable-custom-modes because you will get mysterious
failures and exits for no readily apparent reason if you don't.  Why
isn't --enable-custom-modes the default like it used to be?  Anybody who
actually knows can disable custom modes and generate their specific
modes, but beginners are going to be very confused at getting errors for
practically every combination of frame size and sample rate.  I know I
sure was.

You may need to use one or more of those flags with autogen.sh to
generate the configure file originally.

I do all this on OS X, but, be forewarned, I have MacPorts installed,
and that may be the autojunk that I am calling.

Sorry, I just counted the lines in my build file again.  My build file
is 46 lines, not 40.

-a