[CELT-dev] celtclient 64kbps more than expected

Paul Sykes paul at paulsykes.co.uk
Wed Jun 3 23:32:45 PDT 2009

Hi,

The default settings for celtclient are:-

Sampling rate 48000
Frame size 256
Packet size 43

According to my calculations this should give a bitrate of 64kbit/sec +
a little extra for the 32bit time stamp and 4 null byte pseudo header.

Using vnstat I was very surprised to see that it was reporting a bitrate
usage of around 16kbyte/sec  which is 128kbit/sec, double what I was
expecting.

I then changed packet size to 86 which I expected should give a bitrate
of 128kbit/sec, vnstat said I was using 24kbyte/sec which is 192kbit/sec

I then changed packet size to 128, I expected to see a bitrate of
192kbit/sec, vnstat gave me a bitrate of 32kbyte/sec which is
256kbit/sec

Therefore all measurements were 64kbit/sec greater than I anticipated,
can somebody tell me why, or I have got something wrong here?

thank you,
Paul.