[CELT-dev] trouble building celt on Fedora

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 02:36:26 PST 2009

Hi All,

I'm looking to package up celt for inclusion in Fedora as the next
stable release of ekiga/opal will have support for it. I've run into
two issues in compiling it into a rpm. The first is a show stopper,
then second one not so much of an issue but thought I'd report it for
reference.

The first issue is due to the celtdec and celtenc explicitly define
rpath. I get the following errors when building the packages:
celt.x86_64: E: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/celtdec ['/usr/lib64']
celt.x86_64: E: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath /usr/bin/celtenc ['/usr/lib64']

*
* WARNING: 'check-rpaths' detected a broken RPATH and will cause 'rpmbuild'
*          to fail. To ignore these errors, you can set the '$QA_RPATHS'
*          environment variable which is a bitmask allowing the values
*          below. The current value of QA_RPATHS is 0x0000.
*
*    0x0001 ... standard RPATHs (e.g. /usr/lib); such RPATHs are a minor
*               issue but are introducing redundant searchpaths without
*               providing a benefit. They can also cause errors in multilib
*               environments.
*    0x0002 ... invalid RPATHs; these are RPATHs which are neither absolute
*               nor relative filenames and can therefore be a SECURITY risk
*    0x0004 ... insecure RPATHs; these are relative RPATHs which are a
*               SECURITY risk
*    0x0008 ... the special '$ORIGIN' RPATHs are appearing after other
*               RPATHs; this is just a minor issue but usually unwanted
*    0x0010 ... the RPATH is empty; there is no reason for such RPATHs
*               and they cause unneeded work while loading libraries
*    0x0020 ... an RPATH references '..' of an absolute path; this will break
*               the functionality when the path before '..' is a symlink
*
*
* Examples:
* - to ignore standard and empty RPATHs, execute 'rpmbuild' like
*   $ QA_RPATHS=$[ 0x0001|0x0010 ] rpmbuild my-package.src.rpm
* - to check existing files, set $RPM_BUILD_ROOT and execute check-rpaths like
*   $ RPM_BUILD_ROOT=<top-dir> /usr/lib/rpm/check-rpaths
*
ERROR   0001: file '/usr/bin/celtenc' contains a standard rpath
'/usr/lib64' in [/usr/lib64]
ERROR   0001: file '/usr/bin/celtdec' contains a standard rpath
'/usr/lib64' in [/usr/lib64]

The other issue I have (which I work around with the --disable-oggtest
configure option) is that the test app doesn't build.

Regards,
Peter