[CELT-dev] adding celt support to netjack some questions.

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Tue Nov 25 09:23:25 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:53:48AM -0500, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
> Quoting torbenh at gmx.de:
> > > I guess I'll have to think about it. Last time I checked, I found that
> > > there was no gain in going above 512-sample frames because you easily
> > > get pre-echo and the pitch predictor no longer works. Of course, one
> > > possibility would be to pretend we're using 1024-sample frames and just
> > > pack two 512-sample frames per packet.
> >
> > thats exactly what i propose.
>
> There's just one problem in that I'm not sure what to do about ambiguities. For
> example, is a 768-sample pseudo-frame 2*384 or is it 3*256?

well if you dont know.... how should we know ;)
you could at least make some sort of educated guess,

alex and i would prefer powers of 2.
although because jack is not allowing non power of 2 buffersizes
currently. i would always request a power of 2. but i am not sure
if this limitation might be leveraged sometime.

> > well primarily... i am doing something different.
> > i am clocking a jack server on a slave machine, to the soundcard on the
> > master machine. the main use case is ethernet, where a second computer
> > can be dedicated to number crunching.
> > and its not even required to have a soundcard.
>
> Still sounds similar to what you would do with PulseAudio when you run a sound
> application remotely and want to listen to the output locally.

right... its the same.
thanks for clarifying.

--
torben Hohn