[ogg-dev] Min and max cutoff frequency

Benjamin Schwartz benjamin.m.schwartz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 00:17:48 PDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Fernando Alberto Marengo Rodriguez <
fmarengorodriguez at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> Dear Benjamin,
>
> > What is your motivation for constructing this hardware?  Is your goal
> to learn/teach from the experience, or are you trying to build something
> that you cannot buy?
>
> Yes, I am interested in learning how Ogg Vorbis works, and what its
> performance is in audio players in comparison with MP3 and AAC players. It
> is said that Ogg encoded files have higher quality than MP3 encoded files.
> It would be interested to verify that in hardware, not just in audio player
> software.

I don't quite see why this is interesting.  A correctly functioning Ogg
Vorbis decoder, whether made of silicon or C or javascript, will produce
the same output from the same file.  I suppose that "correctly functioning"
and "the same output" are subtle concepts, so it could be interesting to
verify the correctness of different implementation.

> We have been investigating about Flac, but for the time being we know
> little about Ogg Vorbis. Could you please tell me which Ogg audio player
> hardware is available in the market?

"player hardware" is a very difficult concept.  Every Android phone is an
Ogg Vorbis audio player; to most users that qualifies as "Ogg audio player
hardware".  However, it sounds like you are interested in lower-cost,
lower-power solutions.  We maintained a list of low-power Vorbis decoders
at http://wiki.xiph.org/Vorbis_Hardware .  Calling these "hardware
decoders" is problematic.  There is a spectrum from firmware running on
general-purpose CPUs, to DSPs (perhaps with some Vorbis-specific
additions), to complete silicon decoder logic with a microcontroller CPU
for dispatch.  From the manufacturer-supplied documentation, it is not
always possible to tell where on this spectrum each product stands.

--Ben