[ogg-dev] ask for one ogg test stream with cmml subtitle

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Fri Aug 26 04:21:04 PDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 9:03 PM, startx <startx at plentyfact.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:08:59 +1000
> Silvia Pfeiffer <silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM, startx <startx at plentyfact.org> wrote:

>> > ok i admit this statement came as a surprise for me.
>> >
>> > cmml is about metadate/annotations, how can it be replaced
>> > by KATE ( which is mainly about subtitles as far as i can see?
>>
>> Yeah, I think we have to reposition Kate a bit better. In my mind,
>> Kate is a generic way to align any type of text-based content with an
>> Ogg timeline.
>
> ok. but just to clarify, did you mean you consider CMML as deprecated
> for ogg, or in general deprecated as a markup language. i recently
> started to use CMML as attachements in matroska containers ( because
> the markup had a stable definition and matroska tag xml seems to get
> nowhere , plus doesnt do timeline descriptions properly )
>
> using CMML to describe a video timetime is currently the best thing i
> found outthere, very easy to parse and verify.

Well, we developed CMML 10 years ago and it hasn't really been used
widely. If it works for you for your use case, then feel free to use
it. It's not going away. I've just basically deprecated it from new
support and I suggest going with Kate for Ogg. For the Web, I would
suggest WebVTT, which I expect eventually will go into Ogg through
Kate, and into Matroska through WebM. Just my 2c here though. If CMML
works for you now, go for it!

Cheers,
Silvia.