[ogg-dev] Skeleton 4.0 final draft

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 10 18:06:05 PDT 2010

On 06/10/2010 08:16 PM, Chris Pearce wrote:
> I have no plans to change the 'index' packet format further.

I have proposed an alternative formulation of the index packet at

http://github.com/bemasc/OggIndex/blob/master/Proposed-modified-spec.txt

That repository also contains a working implementation of the alternative
formulation.  I have reviewed the details with Chris extensively.

I believe that this formulation (which I have dubbed "Skeleton A-mod" in
an effort to avoid confusion) offers a significant advantage in employing
a simple lossy coding scheme that does not greatly impact seeking
performance.  This technique reduces the amount of space required for the
index by a large factor, typically at least 4.  It also provides a more
explicit guarantee about the location of target information relative to
the seek point, and is designed to work well for rolling-intra streams.

I appreciate that Chris may be more interested in getting the system
standardized quickly than in designing the optimal standard; I think this
is a respectable position.  I am not very familiar with Xiph.org's
procedures for standardization, so I await advice from others on how to
proceed.

--Ben