[ogg-dev] handling multitrack Ogg

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Thu Feb 4 05:52:52 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Frank Barchard <fbarchard at google.com> wrote:
> DVD has the UI and the low level meta information.
> The API you propose is the glue between the 2.
> It also has practical content.
> Could a DVD like UI be implemented on top of your API?
> It may need more exploration features?
> Could your API be used on DVD content asis?  Do your APIs have 1:1
> relationship with meta information in the files?
> multiple languages requires language codes match up.  Your example shows
> exact matches, but there are multiple versions of each language.
> role/type is tricky.  commentary tracks on a movie may be different speakers
> in the same language.  Does your API match what the underlying file formats
> expose?
> As far as I know, basic transcodes to ogg and mp4, dont translate language
> codes, and dont maintain type and role meta information?

Language codes do translate.

Right now, for Ogg, only the Kate track has language codes, so no
language codes on audio or video.

Type is just a mime type, so will be different between different
codecs and container formts anyway.

Role is a new thing that doesn't really match with anything existing.
I will have a look at the DVD extensions over MPEG, because they may
keep something like a "role" attribute.

I wasn't actually after feedback on the API - the API is being
developed over in W3C and I just quoted the current state. But if you
have feedback on the API, on things that are missing, go ahead! I'm
more than happy to learn.

Cheers,
Silvia.