[ogg-dev] option to push "duplicate frame" packet to oggmux

Alexey Fisher bug-track at fisher-privat.net
Thu Aug 19 10:38:22 PDT 2010

Hallo all,

I started this discussion today on gstreamer.irc and ogg-dev list. So
there seems to be different results. Probably i need to fill a bug on
gstreamer...

here was my question to ogg-dev
> I currently hacking on cheese an got problem with variable framerate
> produced by webcams (2-30fps). There is no problem to encode it with
> theora, but problem to mux it in ogg. Or at least to play produced
> file.
> There is no problem tu mux it in to matroska.
>
> My question is: should actually ogg support timestamps, also variable
> framerate? If yes: it seems to be some where broken.
>

> Here is what i use to reproduce my issue: gst-launch-0.10 -e
> pulsesrc !
> queue ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc ! queue ! oggmux name="muxer"
> v4l2src !
> video/x-raw-yuv,width=320,height=240 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! theoraenc
> keyframe-force=1 ! muxer. muxer. ! filesink location=foo.ogg

here is the answer:
On Do, 2010-08-19 at 08:29 -0700, Timothy B. Terriberry wrote:
> The Ogg mapping for Theora is fixed-framerate. You can hack something
> into Ogg by using a higher framerate and inserting "duplicate frame"
> packets (which cost approximately one byte each, including the
container
> overhead), but AFAIK there is no gstreamer support for doing this
> automatically.

My question to gstreamer devs: are there really no way do it? should i
fill bag report?

Regards,
	Alexey