[ogg-dev] Fixing ogg vorbis corruption caused by bad metadata

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Tue Jun 30 08:14:40 PDT 2009

Conrad Parker wrote, on 6/30/2009 11:05 AM:
>> http://adam.rosi-kessel.org/bugs/liboggz/484/other_corruption.ogg
>> Yet also won't play or process properly with oggz or hogg tools. Any
>> ideas whether this is the same or different root cause? (In all of these
>> cases, I'm reasonably certain that disk corruption is not an issue).
> that one is entirely missing the comments data, and the second page is
> incorrectly marked as continued. Not sure that helps with
> understanding the problem, but I can confirm that it's broken in a
> different way :-)

Thanks. Is there some reason, in principle, that there couldn't be a
tool that just extracted the valid packets and created a new valid file
from there, discarding everything that is invalid? In other words, a
generic tool that would do its best to make an invalid file playable again.

If there's no reason in principle, would such a tool be easy to create
by tweaking the existing code base? I've tried to do a little hacking
myself to figure this out, but it seems like it's a fairly low level fix
that's needed. All of the higher level tools (e.g. modules for Perl,
Python, or Haskell) treat these files identically.

I don't think I've done anything crazy with my files to get them in
these states -- just used reasonably popular tagging tools that
apparently have gone astray.

Adam