[ogg-dev] chaining support

Hans J. Koch hjk at linutronix.de
Sat Jun 20 11:44:40 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 01:27:25AM +0900, Conrad Parker wrote:
> 2009/6/20 Silvia Pfeiffer <silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de>:
> > I agree, this has been a huge problem - and in fact is a problem with
> > html5 <video> more generally than ogg.
> >
> > How do you think that a chain identifier in skeleton will make it
> > possible to have e.g. a single seek bar over a stream? Would it be n
> > timelines or one?
>
> I was thinking that it would be useful to identify sections that are
> logically part of the same content.
>
> eg. if you edit out some part of file A, and end up with the chain A1,
> A3. Then after that you play file B, and after that you play some data
> derived from file C.
>
> You might end up with a chain sequence like A1, A3, B, C1, C2, C5.
>
> Perhaps it would make sense to give a seek bar for (A1, A3), then
> reset it for B, and reset it for (C1, C2, C5).
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> (Use cases would be useful here...)

Is what you have in mind somehow like chapters of a DVD, IOW points in time
you yan jump to? That's something I'm looking for. Currently, I'm using OGM
containers to store movies with chapters. That's an usecase where I play a
movie from disk, but I think it could also be useful for streaming video.

Let's say you've got a 50min video of a conference talk. It'd be a nice
feature if it had named chapters like 01-introduction, 02-topic1, 03-topic2,
..., 09-conclusion. I watch the introduction, skip forward to chapter 3
because I'm interested in topic2, and then skip to the conclusion.

Thanks,
Hans