[ogg-dev] [theora] XiphQT pre-release builds

Arek Korbik arkadini at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 06:00:52 PDT 2009

Hi Silvia,

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Silvia
Pfeiffer<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried xiph-qt-20090529.dmg with a video exporting from iMovie and it
> did really well. I run OS X 10.5.3. I played it back using vlc.
> QuickTime player says it cannot open the ogg file "Operation could not
> be completed. (OSStatus error -50.)".

I tried both uninstalled and a clean install of xiph-qt-20090529.dmg
and all the files I encoded are playable in QuickTime player. Does the
error appear for all the encoded files? What about oggs not produced
by OSX/QuickTime tools?

The "error -50" sounds pretty general, I suspect there could be
something wrong with the installation. Can you try doing a clean
install (remove any old components + install xiph-qt-20090529 +
reboot)? Do you have other 3rd party QuickTime components installed?

> As for following latest code - I'm sure if you used the Thusnelda
> improvements, the video quality would be better at lower bitrates.
> Latest releases have bug fixes and new features, which it is good to
> follow, in particular if security bugs were fixed.

Following suggestions, I guess I should make 3 sets of binaries for the release:
 - built with the latest stable releases of the Xiph libs (would be
the default download option),
 - built with HEADs of the trunks of the libs (what I used to do),
 - built with HEADs + Thusnelda

I think that could work with changes to the download page so it's more
obvious what to download if one's not sure, and less cluttered.

> Thanks a lot for fixing the iMovie export!!

Thanks a lot for helping testing!
Arek