[ogg-dev] Fwd: Vorbis-java wav-ogg encoder produces distorted OGG file

Monty Montgomery monty at xiph.org
Thu Dec 10 09:59:41 PST 2009

I have the impression only a small piece of this conversation is being
forwarded to ogg-dev.  We can't answer questions when we have no idea
what's going on :-)

>> no,   But I will say that tools wise, I have content that does not encode
>> with xiph and does with ffmpeg.  So roughly my tool recommendation is:
>> oggenc2 -o trek2.ogg trek2.wav
>> ffmpeg -y -threads 16 -s 1280x544 -r 23.976 -i trek.1280x544_24Hz_P420.yuv
>> -b 2000000 -vcodec libtheora -an trek.ogv
>> oggz-merge trek2.ogg trek.ogv -o trek2.ogv
>> ffmpeg is not good with the audio or muxing

ffmpeg will also screw up the video

>> xiph is not good at video

that ffmpeg command line is telling ffmpeg *not* to use its internal
video, but to use the external xiph encoder (libtheora) instead.  In
fact, ffmpeg's internal ogg and theora support is somewhat broken
across the board.  Our ffmpeg2theora application uses ffmpeg for
everything *except* the ogg production.

Again, can't help only seeing a handful of the messages.

Monty