[ogg-dev] liboggplay, liboggz, libfishsound migrated to git.xiph.org

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Fri Apr 3 12:40:22 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 1:03 AM,  <j at v2v.cc> wrote:

> How is write access to the official repository handled right now?
> in the past it was possible for people with svn access to commit minor
> fixes or apply patches. would be sad if now write access to the official
> repository is limited to one person. might be a good idea to set git up
> in a way that makes it possible for a group of people to commit to the
> official branch. what about documenting how that would work at
> http://wiki.xiph.org/Git

Right now, there's a single person who has commit access to each git
repository, and you have to send them patches or pull requests.

I noticed the other day that git has a config option to set the
permissions policy for a repository, which sounds like an improvement
over the shared svn repositories, where one person's umask could break
everyone else's commit access. I'm fine with setting up shared access
for the 'official' trees for devs that already have shell accounts.
Feel free to set this up with a 'dev' or 'core' or 'git' group or
whatever.

I think it would still have to be limited to core developers though.
One of the advantages of svn's webdav integration is that we've been
able to give commit access to many more people than we could offer
shell accounts. But it's much easier for casual contributors to post
their own trees with a dvcs, so I don't think that's a big deal.

 -r