[ogg-dev] video chapters and subtitles in ogg containers

Hans J. Koch hjk at linutronix.de
Fri Nov 14 12:57:20 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:45:59AM -0800, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:11 AM, Hans J. Koch <hjk at linutronix.de> wrote:
>
> >> I don't think anything currently in Ogg can do this. The closest I can
> >> think of is CMML's clip concept, but you'd still have to parse the entire
> >> stream to find them all.
> >
> > That's nearly useless for DVD-like applications.
>
> I don't know. Wouldn't it work if the entire CMML clip track were
> packed at the beginning of the stream?

Yes, of course. I'm just not sure if such a requirement is covered by
the spec. After all, CMML seems to be designed as a markup language that
can be serialized and be spread over the whole stream. But it might be
possible to define some kind of <chapterlist> tag and require it to
appear before the beginning of the relevant video/audio stream.

Thanks,
Hans