[ogg-dev] Ogg/Kate preliminary documentation

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 16 02:49:58 PST 2008

Thanks for the feedback,

> I have looked into the patch.  It doesn't take into consideration
> neither Skeleton, which is used now in pretty much everything encoded
> in Ogg (except for single stream Vorbis and Speex files), nor the file
> extension for Theora, which is now .ogv.

To be honest, I just added Theora because I needed a simple way to
multiplex streams. Also, it'd likely take a rewrite of oggmerge to make it
usable for multiplexed streams, I think it assumes a single logical stream
per physical stream, though I didn't have an in-depth look at this issue.

I did see references to Skeleton, I'll have a look at it. I didn't
realize it was
used widely - I've certainly not seen anything with it in it (though I don't
tend to download many Ogg streams, I encode test ones myself :)).

As for .ogv for Theora, do you mean Theora-in-ogg, or raw Theora ?
If Theora-in-ogg, then what about Theora multiplexed with other stream
types, like Vorbis, since a lot of videos will have sound embedded ?

> * don't bother with non-UTF8

Yes, I was going to leave it as is while keeping the header field there,
just in case. I do know, however, that people in eastern countries tend
to dislike utf-8 for the size it takes for their language, as it's been, er...
/optimized/ for the latin alphabet. I am also not clear if every code point
can be coded in utf-8, I'll have to dig that up.

> * I agree that CMML is complex for something as simple as karaoke, but
> I am of the opinion that the more formats doing the same thing, the
> worse it will be for their adoption rate.  Developers just won't

Yes, this is a fair point, but then you have Vorbis, Speex, and FLAC,
each with its own particularities. Yes, Vorbis would probably yield bad
sound at the low bitrates Speex works at, etc, this is just an example.

> bother to support everything out there.  Some may support CMML, some
> may support Kate, some may support none.  Then we have the users not
> knowing which format to choose for lyrics/subtitles.  I think that
> perhaps it would be better to join efforts on an unique project.

I understand where you're coming from.

Thank you for your comments.