[ogg-dev] Ogg/Kate, a karaoke and text codec for embedding in Ogg

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Mon Jan 14 04:40:08 PST 2008

On 14/01/2008, ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com <ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm not sure what the right place would be, please  direct me to where is
> most appropriate if not this list.

Hi,

yes this is an appropriate list.

> I am currently working on a codec designed for karaoke and text information,
> to be embedded
> in an Ogg container. It includes text, motion information, and
> style/placement.

ok, that sounds very interesting :-)

> As a proof of concept, I have the codec working for subtitles in MPlayer
> (text only for now)
> and in some unreleased software of mine, as well as patch to oggmerge to
> multiplex it with
> Vorbis and Theora (BTW, I added Theora support to oggmerge, which oddly
> didn't have it,
> maybe I was looking at an old version ? It was from the xiph svn).

great, please either send that patch here, or create a ticket at
trac.xiph.org and attach it there.

> I would like to get feedback on the design, as this is the first step
> towards having a complete
> spec for the bitstream format, and the Xiph people are the best people to
> ask.

probably the best thing to do would be to document your design so far
on wiki.xiph.org, and link from:

http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Work_In_Progress

Then we can discuss that here :-)

cheers,