[ogg-dev] album level vorbiscomment (was The use for an XML based metadata format)

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 14:18:56 PDT 2007

David K. Gasaway wrote:
> Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
>> On Monday 17. September 2007 07:47:19 David K. Gasaway wrote:
>>> Even today, I use my own "metadata format" -- essentially a superset of
>>> vorbis comments.  There is one file per release, even with a multi-disc
>>> release.  As a final part of the ripping process, I apply this metadata
>>> to the FLAC or Vorbis files.
>>
>> Why don't you share your own metadata format as proposals on the wiki?
>> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/VorbisComments
>
> I put it in quotes for a reason. :)  I'm hesitant to call it another
> metadata format, because it's little more than vorbis comments extended
> to apply a tag to an entire release or a selection of tracks.  It's all
> distilled down to ordinary vorbis comments in the end.  It's really not
> an alternative to vorbis comments or your proposal.  If anyone is
> interested, I'd be happy to discuss it, but I was merely trying to
> illustrate my point re: storing metadata separately from the audio files.

Sounds roughly like what I do when encoding an album;
put all the tags I want that the encoding s/w wont do
automatically (i.e. not album, year &c.) into a comment
file and then just $ for FILE in *ogg ; do vorbiscomment...

Even more fun can be had using sed to correct mistakes.
With the possible exception of foobar2000's mass tagger
I never found a tagging application that was flexible
enough.

--
imalone