[ogg-dev] metadata on the wiki

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 07:52:52 PDT 2007

On 14/09/2007, Daniel Aleksandersen <aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com> wrote:
> The biggest problem with Vorbis comments are too loose specifications and
> too little standardisation.
>
> Another problem is attribution of involved parties. Currently only the
> ARTIST field name is supported in software. More standardised field names
> need to be worked out for organisations and persons involved in the
> production of the recording. See:
> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/VorbisComment#Attributing_involved_parties
>
> I have made a some suggestions, but as I have said earlier: Vorbis comments
> are no good when it comes to including information about musicans, labels,
> and other involved persons and organisations. A XML replacement to Vorbis
> comments would provide better mechanisms for defining this.

Ultimately the current situation derived from mp3s, where
the tags were inserted by end users who put in as much
or little info as they cared about into a format which, at
the time, only allowed basic tags like Artist, Title &c.  With
the advent of online music stores the contents have become
a bit more dependable but they still follow the old model.
Vorbis comments could do better than they currently do
but no-one seems compelled to implement any of the exotic
tag proposals that have hung around for years.  An XML
replacement not only allows richer information but allows
the creation of a framework where even the basic information
might be made more useful.

--
imalone