[ogg-dev] Working towards an XML based metadata format

Daniel Aleksandersen aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com
Mon Sep 10 21:08:45 PDT 2007

On Monday 10. September 2007 23:39:50 Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> 2) we need a XML annotation format for audio - in particular for music
> - that is more structured than vorbiscomment (and this probably
> applies to video, too)

There are two possible ways to go regarding the format:
1) Build on XML+RDF and DC[1] with an additional name space for the more
media specific elements and attributes required.
or 2) Build an all new format name space in XML and incorporate elements
from DC with RDF thinking.

To argue for the latter: The Atom 1.0 developers choose to abandon the RDF
and DC name spaces because they wanted a format that was not cluttered by
and requiring multiple name spaces out of the box. They also felt DC was to
loosly defined. (Note that RDF and DC combined in the case of a web feed
format would end up being little more than W3C's RSS 1.0 specification.
Cluttered and unendorsed.)

[1] See http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-xml-guidelines/ and
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmes-xml/ to get the general idea of what
this would look like.