[ogg-dev] The use for an XML based metadata format

Daniel Aleksandersen aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com
Mon Sep 10 16:53:44 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 11. September 2007 01:34:35 Ian Malone wrote:
> Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
> > By the way, I have bee discussing Dublin Core (‘DC’) with the
> > developers of the Atom 1.0 specification. It seams the reason they
> > created atom:rights instead of using dc:rights were just about what I
> > thought it was: They though DC was too loosely defined. Their own
> > atom:rights element were designed to more clearly define what the
> > element contained (escaped HTML, clear text, or whatever else).
> >
> > When it comes to other dc:elements the arguments were about the same:
> > Could be more clearly defined what they contain and remove redundant
> > attributes and children elements.
>
> (Sorry, should have replied to this at the same time as the last.)
>
> I'd be interested which ones. DC is a bit nebulous, but that gives
> you tremendous freedom too. Atom on the other hand has a very
> specific target for the things they describe (but they did take a
> very pragmatic approach to their problem from what I understand,
> which means they're probably good people to be talking to).

Atom is a syndication format—like RSS—that carry short descriptions of
content and links to the full content. I only referred to their work
because I though it would be relevant.

The Dublin Core Metadata Initiative are great for describing written
resources such as books, web pages, and indeed it would have worked in the
case of Atom as well. However it is no good when it comes to describing
audio and videos. Mostly because you have no method of describing
what ‘role’ people and organisations had in the production. Which is
precisely why I added the poorly defined role attribute to the person and
organisation elements.
--
Daniel Aleksandersen