[ogg-dev] Why I reinvented the wheel with M3F

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 01:54:32 PDT 2007

Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
> Hi ogg-dev list,
>
> I am not trying to ‘get someone’. But I though this form would indeed prove
> successful in making my point. Here we go:

I think it's great someone is trying to work on this.

> I got accused of ‘reinventing the wheel’ for this little media description
> format of mine. Fare enough. But I wanted to show everyone why it is
> sometimes best to sometings that has been done before all over. See the
> attached document. It uses existing technology plus a new name space.
>
> I call my Frankenstein: XML+RDF+DC+M3F (or just M3F for short) or The
> Resource Description Format (RDF) built on the Extensible Markup Language
> (RDF) using the well recognised Dublin Core metadata set (DC) with the new
> Multimedia Metadata Format (M3F).

RDF always seems to magically make things less human-readable
but if it adds utility then that might be a price worth paying.
(Since, realistically, few people are going to attempt to read it
themselves.)

It's probably an oversight in this example, but:
<m3f:person m3f:role="vocal instrument" dc:title="guitar and
vocals">Jody Porter</person>
<m3f:person m3f:role="instruments" dc:title="drums">Brian Young</person>

Either 'instruments' or 'instrument', not both (and probably
instrumental to be consistent with 'vocal').  However, this
is splitting off vocals separate to other instruments.  Possibly
role='musician' with 'vocals' as the refinement.

(I've got a small draft email on use cases to finish off.)

--
imalone