[ogg-dev] The use for an XML based metadata format

Daniel Aleksandersen aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com
Sun Sep 9 11:52:34 PDT 2007

Hi Silvia,

I really have to ask you: Have you even tried to describe media using the
excising solutions? I don't mean adding subtitles and editing stuff. I mean
really say what a Ogg file contins. There is no working wheels for this.
Vorbis comments--used in FLAC too--can describe content with a very limited
field names (and badly enforced standards).

I said from the start that I have no idea of what I am doing. This was an
initiative to make a broad metadata format for describing content. I have
no doubts others can do it better. This was just a suggestion to make the
actually developer types on this list think about how it could be done
better.

More below.

On 2007-09-09, Silvia wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> these are all good ideas and worth progressing. However, it may be
> better not to merge too many goals in one format (MPEG-7 did that and
> ended up as a big mess). So, I suggest to start by structuring the
> types of things you want - then finding out which parts belong where
> into existing formats such as vorbis comment, Skeleton and CMML, and
> only then start to develop a new format.
>
> For example: the relationships between the logical bitstreams is a
> very semantic description - it needs to be broad enough to enable
> different types of applications to do different things with it. E.g. a
> video editor will need to know that there are 3 audio channels in a
> file and how they overlap each other and also the video channel, while
> in contrast a speech recognizer might just want to be able to know
> about the one audio channel in there that is speech and a music player
> would be totally ignorant of the video channel. Just solving this
> generically would be a big feat. It would possibly need to find a
> place in skeleton.
>
> A similar argument goes for the encoding quality description and digital
> rights.

The rights element was taken directly from the Atom 1.0 specification, but
with an added ‘date’ attribute to make this stand data stand out from the
text.

> In contrast, the improved description of the content as in: artist,
> band name, title, organisation involved, and people involved are
> things that improve upon vorbiscomment and should probably be included
> there directly.

No. I have though *a lot* about this. You can improve Vorbis comment to some
extent. But it is way to limited. Try describing this with Voribs comments
and you will see my point:
<person role="vocal instrument" uri="http://person.no/"
xml:lang="nb-NO">Person Peopleson</person>

> All I ask for is *not* to reinvent the wheel when there are already
> working, semi-complete metadata formats for Ogg that have been
> carefully prepared to fit with the existing Ogg framework. It would be
> a sheer nightmare to create another new one that does not fit with any
> of the existing ones and is not supported by any media application.
>
> OTOH, we could. undertake this cleaning exercise also at the end of
> your process when you have all the fields together that you're after.
> We would then sit down and discuss where they are best suitable, if
> you prefer that. This should be made clear though.

I have just tried working on the audio (music, speeches, farting sounds,
whatever, ...) part. Think about subtitles in the text element and such.
The person who wrote the text could actually be attributed. Media manager
softwares could search for movies by subtitle author, for instance.

I do apologise for my tone in this email. I think I got -a little- very
upset by you not seeing how limited the existing solutions are.

--
Daniel Aleksandersen