[ogg-dev] The use for an XML based metadata format

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 08:59:40 PDT 2007

Daniel,

these are all good ideas and worth progressing. However, it may be
better not to merge too many goals in one format (MPEG-7 did that and
ended up as a big mess). So, I suggest to start by structuring the
types of things you want - then finding out which parts belong where
into existing formats such as vorbis comment, Skeleton and CMML, and
only then start to develop a new format.

For example: the relationships between the logical bitstreams is a
very semantic description - it needs to be broad enough to enable
different types of applications to do different things with it. E.g. a
video editor will need to know that there are 3 audio channels in a
file and how they overlap each other and also the video channel, while
in contrast a speech recognizer might just want to be able to know
about the one audio channel in there that is speech and a music player
would be totally ignorant of the video channel. Just solving this
generically would be a big feat. It would possibly need to find a
place in skeleton.

A similar argument goes for the encoding quality description and digital rights.

In contrast, the improved description of the content as in: artist,
band name, title, organisation involved, and people involved are
things that improve upon vorbiscomment and should probably be included
there directly.

All I ask for is *not* to reinvent the wheel when there are already
working, semi-complete metadata formats for Ogg that have been
carefully prepared to fit with the existing Ogg framework. It would be
a sheer nightmare to create another new one that does not fit with any
of the existing ones and is not supported by any media application.

OTOH, we could. undertake this cleaning exercise also at the end of
your process when you have all the fields together that you're after.
We would then sit down and discuss where they are best suitable, if
you prefer that. This should be made clear though.

Regards,
Silvia.

 than the artist and or organisation descriptions.