[ogg-dev] Feedback on XML metadata namespace

Daniel Aleksandersen aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com
Sat Sep 8 10:38:22 PDT 2007

On Saturday 08. September 2007 19:16:44 Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 11:37:05AM +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> > This needs more support.  CMML already uses fragment identifiers
> > to label clips and there is also a need to be able to find the
> > labelled resource.
>
> And earlier wrote:
> > <video encoding="application/theora+ogg" />
> > et cetera, I think you want to avoid duplicating technical
> > metadata like this which is held in Ogg Skeleton.  Within
> > a stream anyway, maybe for separate description of media
> > files it might be worthwhile.
>
> I think the issue here is that was need some way to refer to
> particular substreams in the Ogg stream, the way Skeleton
> does. <video> presumedly always refers to a video/ogg stream
> in our application, and even a video/theora stream since it's
> an internal reference. But what if there are multiple multiplexed
> video streams.

Not necessarily. Look at the audio example. It uses a URI as you suggested
below. But I will be the first to admit I have no idea how Oggs work. (!!)
I figured that multiple elements can be described using URIs.

> A URI/URL scheme for referencing streams would be a generally useful
> thing. Should we override the query mechanism like the time fragment
> draft? "?oggserial=0x15323421" ?

Please explain how oggserials works. If all items (audio, text, images, ...)
in an Ogg stream can be described using oggserials; than a oggserial
attribute should be used instead of a more generic URI attribute.

A quick an dirty example describing the relation between an image and audio.

<image oggserial="something" type="image/jepg" id="front-cover" />
<audio oggserial="something-else" type="audio/x-flac">
	<collection>
--
Daniel Aleksandersen