[ogg-dev] Feedback on XML metadata namespace

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sat Sep 8 10:16:44 PDT 2007

And earlier wrote:

> <video encoding="application/theora+ogg" />
> et cetera, I think you want to avoid duplicating technical
> metadata like this which is held in Ogg Skeleton.  Within
> a stream anyway, maybe for separate description of media
> files it might be worthwhile.

I think the issue here is that was need some way to refer to
particular substreams in the Ogg stream, the way Skeleton
does. <video> presumedly always refers to a video/ogg stream
in our application, and even a video/theora stream since it's
an internal reference. But what if there are multiple multiplexed
video streams.

A URI/URL scheme for referencing streams would be a generally useful
thing. Should we override the query mechanism like the time fragment
draft? "?oggserial=0x15323421" ?

 -r