[ogg-dev] Re: [theora-dev] Re: [Advocacy] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Proposal: An extension to rules all others

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon May 14 02:34:37 PDT 2007

(and one more thing...)

On 06/05/07, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/6/07, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> <...>
> > if it was practical I think it would be useful to have
> > apps supporting .oga, .ogv MUST support decoding from muxed Ogg
> > streams,
>
> I guess for .oga this makes sense, since it incorporates audio files
> and most Ogg audio is currently under the .ogg extension.
> For .ogv support of generic .ogg may be useful since a generic .ogg
> may be a video with additional logical bitstreams.
> I've added this to the wiki, but as a SHOULD.

Just in case it should come up on Wednesday:
I've just realised I mightn't have been particularly clear about
my reasons for the suggestion: it's for future proofing.  At
the moment there are problems if you try to add CMML or
the mythical metadata format to a Vorbis I/Ogg stream.
AFAIK Skeleton should now work okay with libvorbisfile
players, but for future introduction of new codec types*
this would be useful.  This was also what I was thinking
about when I suggested may drop unrecognised streams.

* Especially metadata, subtitles and other codecs that don't
  need to be decoded for the other stream contents to be useful.

Have I mooted providing a Vorbis I stripper tool* before
in this context?  It's trivial and might be helpful for
backward compatibility purposes.

*Or simple library function.  Potentially something I'd
 have time to finish.

--
imalone