[ogg-dev] multiplexers

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Fri Mar 9 00:25:17 PST 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 09:23:02PM -0500, S. A. Ridley wrote:

> hangs, etc. So the multiplexer has to be a little beefier than I was first
> assuming. Its still pretty surprising that a generic library to multiplex
> over TCP is not more common. Something that would let you create a in
> initial stream and then create "sub-streams" and expose a "mux_write()" and
> "mux_read()" or something, and have the library transparently handle all the
> mux/demux and messaging in between.  If something like this *does* exist,
> please share!

I understand the openssh code implements TCP-over-TCP for its tunnel
support. You might look at that. There are even patches to make it drop
the compression so there's no performance overhead.

With Ogg, I think oggz is your best bet for a sane library, but you're
correct it's more a library-for-writing-muxers than a muxer library.

 -r