[ogg-dev] Re: [theora-dev] Re: [Advocacy] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Proposal: An extension to rules all others

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 04:50:45 PDT 2007

It's great to see how quickly people notice new pages on the wiki!

I started this page to get the ideas from this thread together and
start a discussion. By no means was any of this fixed.

However, I do disagree about the 3 letter extensions. While it is true
that they are old and outdated, some modern systems will still only
read three letters - e.g. the 3gpp file format ended up using .3gp as
the extension because some mobile platforms would not deal with
anything more than 3 letters.

Also, I have not seen any sensible new file formats being created with
anything more than 3 letters extension. Thus, if Xiph was to go down
that track, this may borderline us more than it would help with
uptake.

But I agree - let's have a discussion. :-)

Cheers,
Silvia.