[ogg-dev] Re: [theora-dev] Re: [Advocacy] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Proposal: An extension to rules all others

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 13:49:08 PDT 2007

A page was created on the wiki at
http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions

However, I do not agree with the proposed extensions there.  For one,
I hate 3 letter extensions .ext.  Everyone knows how old and outdated
they are.

If this was decided/proposed based on issues with FAT/FAT16/vfat file
systems, I'll be running some tests and see if there really is such
limitation.  And even if it does, I'm still against .ext, especially
things like .ogs which make no sense to me or to other users.

To remind everyone of my recent proposal:
.oggvideo
.oggaudio
.ogg for everything else

And backward compatibility for already used extensions (.flac, .ogg, .spx)

Let's have a vote if need be.  Meanwhile, I'll go look for a USB key
and format it FAT and see if large file names are possible.

-Ivo

P.S: I lost track of how many lists are currently involved in this
discussion.  I'm sending this message to ogg-dev and vorbis-dev.
Fasten your seat-belts.