AW: [ogg-dev] .NET tagging library for ogg Vorbis and ogg FLAC

Mathias Kunter mathiaskunter at yahoo.de
Sat Apr 21 05:49:27 PDT 2007

>> 1) Is it valid to insert an "empty" page into the stream which simply contains the binary value 0 for the page_segments counter, and which therefore contains no segment table nor any packet data? I'd like to do this to produce a gapless page sequence number so that I don't have to re-number all following pages, so that I don't have to re-compute the checksums of all following pages. This is way faster.

> Good question! I don't think anyone has thought of that before. libogg
can't produce such pages, but the code doesn't obviously look like it
will fall over. Have you tested this?

Yes I did, and it worked. I was able to playback the file in VLC media player and Winamp afterwards.

> The specs clearly didn't consider this case, but I agree the appropriate
interpretation is that the page is empty, containing no packet segments.
If the software doesn't treat it as such we should fix that. It is more
likely to cause problems with embedded implementations though.

www.xiph.org/ogg/doc/framing.html says the range for page_segments is from 0x00 to 0xFF. I would say empty pages are therefore valid from the specification point of view and *should* be handled from all existing software correctly.

Regards
Mathias

      __________________________________  Kennt man wirklich jeden über 3 Ecken? Die Antworten gibt's bei Yahoo! Clever. www.yahoo.de/clever