[ogg-dev] validator.annodex.org

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Thu Feb 16 12:00:13 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 03:25:07PM +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
> (You really don't want to know this I'm sure)
> I gave this a go this morning on the samples from
> <http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Metadata>, which
> are there mainly for the purpose of breaking things.
> They don't validate (which neither surprises nor upsets
> me), but I downloaded the oggz source and built oggz-validate
> to find out why and discovered that it segfaults, which it
> probably shouldn't (I didn't have time to look into the cause).
> As far as I know they are valid ogg bitstreams (ogginfo passes
> them okay), even if the contents aren't proper media types.

ok, I did know that oggz-validate only passes things which are known
media types (currently it knows about Vorbis, Theora, Speex, Flac, CMML,
OggPCM(draft2) and Skeleton). I guess this is because the original
reason for oggz-validate was to check interleaving order, for which it
needs to be able to interpret granulepos. It's probably worth adding an
option to disable those checks and only check the bitstream packing.

> On a completely irrelevant point, are the Annodex people
> aware of <http://www.songbirdnest.com/>?  This is going
> to be an itunes-like media player/web browser built around
> XULRunner.  From their website: "Songbird can view Web
> pages as dynamic playlists that it can play, save, or
> automatically download every day."

very cool :)

Conrad.