[ogg-dev] OggPCM2 : chunked vs interleaved data

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Nov 15 02:21:10 PST 2005

On 11/15/05, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+xiph at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The remaining issue to be decided for the OggPCM2 spec is the support
> of chunked vs interleaved data.

I think interleaved is the obvious choice - that's what most audio
applications are used to dealing with, it's what we need to feed to
audio hardware in the end usually, etc.

Whilst I accept that there are many good uses for chunked data, I
think the transformation is trivial, particularly given certain
characteristics of the Ogg container. Remember, the data, if you read
an ogg stream into memory, is _already_ likely to be non-contiguous,
due to ogg's structure. It's trivial, and has insignificant additional
overhead, to de-interleave as you read it into a packet buffer.

So, you've forced additional implementation complexity onto all
implementations, but the benefits aren't obviously significant.

Oh, and if it's not already obvious, I support this spec, rather than Arc's.

Mike