[ogg-dev] OggPCM madness

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Sun Nov 13 16:52:57 PST 2005

Hi all,

It seems like I should have joined in earlier. First, just in case it
wasn't already clear to everyone, Arc is in no way talking on behalf of
Xiph, certainly not me, and (as far as I understand) not Monty either.
So his cluelessness and stubbornness represents only himself.

Arc, I really dislike the way you've behaved, especially towards Zen
(your off-list threat to Zen is simply unacceptable) and Erik. You have
no authority whatsoever over anyone here and you (should) know it. As
some pointed out, Xiph is meant to be a sort of meritocracy and so far I
have yet to see anything worthwhile that you implemented. Also, the fact
that you are probably the *least* qualified for writing OggPCM, means
*you* should have listened to what other people were saying much more
than the other way round. Just pushing things like that as "Xiph
standard" without letting anyone time to say anything is very annoying.
Oh, and I dislike the fact statements like: "Monty, JeanMarc, and
Josh have all written Ogg audio codecs, and will likely be working with
this in the future, so their approval is sought". Not only have you
never asked for my approval (I've been brought in this by Silvia) but
you pretty much ignored my comments when I disapproved.

Now, I'm not sure where to go from here, but we need to find a format
that everyone (more or less) agrees on and not a format where every
trivial detail needs to be debated for hours until Arc "approves" it
(Arc, you're free to call your spec ArcPCM if you like).

        Jean-Marc