[ogg-dev] OggPCM proposal feedback

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sun Nov 13 00:08:36 PST 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 10:36:14AM +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Here in the Xiph community things are a little askew. The people
> with the code (Monty, Jean-Marc, Josh Coalson etc and the Annodex
> team) seem to let Arc (who has yet to show any contribution
> anywhere near the same league as any of the above) run the show
> and trammple over people who show far more merit.

Let? Run? Trample? It's not a question of let, just that Arc got
interested in developing these formats. Anyone else, previously
involved with Xiph or no is also welcome to do so. Are you
suggesting we ban Arc from the lists for not respecting his
betters?

Otherwise I think your complaints are reasonable. My own experience
working with Arc has been that his enthusiasm is admirable, but he
doesn't listen or incorporate feedback well, and it's unfortunate
this has coloured the present discussion. That he is posting from
a xiph.org email address is of no special significance here; I think
most of us would agree with you that he hasn't been speaking for the
consensus, and we wouldn't want to officially recommend the current
draft. I think the meritocracy is functioning here, if not smoothly.

IMO,
 -r