[ogg-dev] OggPCM version / header finalization

Arc arc at Xiph.org
Thu Nov 10 21:18:58 PST 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 12:59:31PM +0800, illiminable wrote:

> If we are asking for final comments... the wiki should be tidied up. The
> original format removed if the general consensus is that this is more on
> the right track... which it looks to be.

The current format listed at top is a combination of the two minus surround
sound information, which it feels like we're reaching a conclusion that this
information either belongs as a Comment or in a seperate metadata codec.

The primary reason for this is that Vorbis and FLAC lack surround sound data
too, and there was expressed need to have the channels of some surround sound
systems have different encoding parameters between the channels.  For these
reasons, and more that Sylvia pointed out, I believe we're going to handle it as
a seperate metadata codec.

The feedback box is still open, if something is missing or horribly broken.  But
due to time constraints on John's development, they should come soon as we're
headed rapidly toward a release canidate to be approved by the audio codec crew
(which consists of Monty, JeanMarc, and Josh).

To echo JeanMarc's comments from IRC, he believes it's missing ulaw and alaw
encoding, but other than that it looks fine.

On the subject of (m)ulaw and alaw:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-law_algorithm
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-law_algorithm

I disagree with him, as these are both compression formats (albiet primitive),
and while implemented by .au, .wav, and .aiff, I think these should exist (if
needed at all) in a seperate codec.  Nothing requires OggPCM to be the /ONLY/
supported input/output codec from compressed codec plugins, after all.

He has not yet responded to this.

--

The recognition of individual possibility,
 to allow each to be what she and he can be,

from "Die Gedanken Sind Frei": Free Software and the Struggle for Free Thought
 by Eben Moglen, General council of the Free Software Foundation