[ogg-dev] Raw/general purpose Ogg based container format?

John Koleszar jkoleszar at on2.com
Mon Nov 7 11:20:22 PST 2005

(crossposted to theora-dev, since I thought some folks there might be
interested)

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a ogg based container format that would be
appropriate for holding raw AV data? I'm specifically interested in PCM
audio, and uncompressed YV12 and RGB32 video. Basically looking to use
it as a lightweight tool interchange format, generally muxed by mencoder
and read/modified by other utilities. Has something like this been done
already? It would be fairly straightforward to roll a new format, but if
there's something being widely used already, I'd rather support that, in
order to maximize the value of the patches we submit back to the community.

I'm aware of OGM, and of the philosophical differences involved.
However, it does seem to meet the technical requirements, so I'd be
interested to hear arguments for and against adopting it.

Thoughts?

John Koleszar