[ogg-dev] streaming versus editing

Arc Riley arc at Xiph.org
Wed Dec 1 11:33:08 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 01:15:57PM -0600, John Kintree wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:25:43 -0800, Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:
> > I think it would be better to say which formats are technically
> > superiour for streaming (ogg and mpeg program streams) or
> > editing (quicktime/matroska) or dead/obsolete (AVI, MCF?),
>
> If video is recorded and saved in ogg/theora container/format, could it be
> converted into matroska/theora container/format without loss of quality for
> the purpose of editing, and then converted back into ogg/theora
> container/format without loss of quality for streaming?  Would the advantage
> that the matroska container has in editing make it worth the effort to do the
> conversion?

LOL

Ok lets be perfectly clear here.

You can do everything with Ogg as you can with Matroska.  It's just done
differently.  If you want to do lossless editing on the frame level,
well, you need another codec for that.

We're not talking about the ability to edit.  We're talking about the
container format's ability to store information about how to play
content in an "edited way".  One could argue that such information
belongs in an "effects" codec, rather than in the container itself.

--

"The question is no longer between violence and non-violence;
 It is between non-violence and non-existence." - Martin Luther King, Jr