[neurosetta] Scandisk from linux?

Stan Seibert volsung at mailsnare.net
Sat Jul 26 09:02:12 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 10:46, Jason M. Sullivan wrote:
> I think I've got some funky filesystem errors on the Neuros, and I'm hoping
> it's not hard-drive problems (When reading certain spots on the disk, the
> transfer rate slows down markedly, and the hard drive makes the kind of
> chirping noises that sound like retrys).
>
> I ran fsck.vfat on the Neuros, and got the following question...
>
> [root at localhost root]# fsck.vfat /dev/sda1
> dosfsck 2.7, 14 Feb 2001, FAT32, LFN
> Warning: FAT32 support is still ALPHA.
> FATs differ but appear to be intact. Use which FAT ?
> 1) Use first FAT
> 2) Use second FAT

This is usually what people see after their Neuros filesystem has been
corrupted.  I just pick the first FAT and accept that I'm going to lose
some files on the disk.  Keep in mind that you need the -r option to
actually write corrections to the disk, otherwise it will just show you
what it would have done.  (As of version 2.8.  Check the manpage for
your version to make sure this isn't a "new" thing.)

---
Stan Seibert

Neurosetta homepage: http://www.neurosetta.org/