[neurosetta] Neuros Corrupting Oggs?

Jason M. Sullivan jsullivan at nc.rr.com
Thu Jul 24 17:39:19 PDT 2003

> I should mention again (and elaborate some more) that when I hear this corrupt
> file on the neuros, I copy it back to the computer and play it, and it
> exhibits the same corruption.  This isn't in the file before I copy it to
> the neuros, and when I delete it from the neuros and re-add it (from the
> originally encoded file), it plays fine on the neuros.

files get corrupted as soon as I place them on the Neuros.  I've taken a
clean set of files, added them with "positron add" then checked them twice:
once with ogginfo checking the files on /mnt/neruos/music, and once copying
the files back to the host system and checking them with ogginfo there.
Both times displayed corruption in the files.

You'll notice that I didn't say "the same corruption".  That's because the
time I ran ogginfo against the file still on the Neuros, it showed more
errors than when I copied it back and checked it on the host machine.

My guess is that something about the USB interface is corrupting the files
en route to the Neuros, but I'm not getting any USB errors reported on
either the Neuros or the host machine.  I'm going to check the files again
over the next few days to see if they degrade anymore (bit rot?  who knows?),
but there's definately corruption going on, even in the "positron add"
stage.  Does positron perform any tweaking on the files before they move
over the USB interface?

Sorry to keep harping on this, but it's something that's rather strongly
impacted my enjoyment of an otherwise fine system.  Suggestions?

   ////           Jason M. SULLIVAN   jsullivan at nc.rr.com
  |c-oo               http://home.nc.rr.com/jason0x21
   \_-     "That's not music, that's just sound!" - J. David Fries
Neurosetta homepage: http://www.neurosetta.org/