[neurosetta] Syncing huge collections.

The Doctor What docwhat at gerf.org
Wed Jul 23 20:17:30 PDT 2003

I read some suggestions for using rsync and all, but rsync doesn't
like me; it copies the same files over and over again.  I think it's
due to case problems.  I'm trying unison, but this is also a no go,
since it reads the file in it's entirety to build a check sum, then
updates it, then reads the file for another check sum (to be sure it
copied).  Insanely safe and great for my Zaurus PDA, but it sucks
for USB hard drives. :-/

Is there another choice?  Or will I have to hack positron to get it
to support something similar to Tridgel's rsync protocol?  I'm
willing to do it, but I would like a faster temporary solution,
because I won't have time to learn the code till the weekend after
next. :-/

Also: I assume I can send patches here for inclusion? Or where do I
send them for positron?

Again, this is because I'm updating ogg tags as well as re-ripping
the oggs so they work with the current beta (and because when I
listen to them vs. my -q5 encoded ones it sounds crappier).

The rsync I tried was:
rsync \
      --delete-excluded -vrP \
      --include '*.ogg' \
      --include '*/' \
      --exclude '*' \
      /ogg/ /neuros/music/

My mount options are:
/dev/sda1       /neuros vfat defaults,user,noauto,nodev,sync,noatime,shortname=mixed 0 0

I tried shortname=lower (the default) and several others, but this
seemed to produce the most reliable translation.

Can I get rsync to ignore case?

Thanks.

Ciao!

--
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in
your philosophy."

The Doctor What: "What, Doctor What"             http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat *at* gerf *dot* org                                        KF6VNC